i don't have a home.
where i live now is temporary. and where my family lives now is foreign to me.

the drive from my non-home to my parents non-home is about 3 and a half hours of straight desert.
it's usually really long, extremely boring, and kind of dangerous.

but there's one part of the drive that changes me a little bit every time.

it's about 2 and a half  hours in. it's usually dark by this time, and i'm surrounded by nothingness. to the distant right are quiet redrock cliffs; to the left are dirt hills and sparse shrubbery.

all you can really see are stars.

my favorite thing to do at this point is roll down my windows, regardless of the temperature, set my cruise control to 95, and blast this song.

i do that until the hypothermia sets in.

then i roll up my windows and turn off any sound.

then, i just take it all in.

the blank slate that is the road ahead of me, the sky above, my future.

it's a very reverent moment for me. i feel... peaceful. in awe of a greater power, a sense of control that i can't quite grasp.

it's in those few minutes, between green river and floy, in the middle of the desert, all alone... it's in those few minutes that i feel most at home.

2 comments:

  1. I love driving with the windows down too.:)That song sounds awesome, I'd blast it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this.
    have you ever thought about writing?

    in any case,
    i do things like this regularly as well.
    especially on the way to my brother's house.

    i can't listen to the song at the moment because my sick roommate is trying to sleep, but i'll definitely listen to it soon. (:

    ReplyDelete